23 April, 2011

Repelled by Man

Many people believe that they are attracted by God, or by Nature, when they are only repelled by man.  ~William Ralph Inge
Today I saw something so horrible that I almost don't want to talk about it. But I think I need to. I think everyone needs to. As much as I hate the religious overtones of the word, today I saw something evil. I saw members of my species viciously attacking another member of my species, and for what? Was there a cause being advanced? Were the attackers taking justified revenge or moving to protect themselves? Was the victim threatening anyone? No. The only cause here was stupid, festering, ignorant hate. And that's as close to a working definition of evil as someone with my upbringing and religious background can find.

I'm going to give you a minute to watch the video. And then as long as you need to process it. I am still  processing it. If you feel so moved, please sign the petition. When you're ready, read on after the jump.

Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition »



Are you back? Did you see that poor woman slump to the floor in utter defeat? Did you see her clutch at the leg of the one person brave enough to defend her, desperate for comfort on what may well have been the worst day of her life? I did. Did you make it long enough to see her on the floor seizing beside a trash can, while people stepped over her? While NO ONE knelt down and took her hand? While NO ONE said all the things I wish I'd been there to say to her? Things like, "Honey, just relax, I'm here for you." Things like, "We're going to get through this." Things that, loosely translated, mean, "I'm a human being and so are you. Your suffering moves me to action, because that's what humanity is supposed to be about."

I realize that there are people who will never understand transgendered people, people who are made uncomfortable by things, ideas, and people that fall outside the neat little boxes we try so hard to put ourselves in. I don't think being made uncomfortable is anywhere near a good excuse for hatred on this scale. People don't have to live by your rules to be worthy of your compassion. If you believe otherwise, I invite you to take a good long look at yourself and figure out just what it is that scares you so badly that you need to put so much hate into the universe.

I was lucky enough to be born the gender I was supposed to be, complete with all the socially acceptable bits and bobs, so I can't in all honesty say I understand what it's like to be a transgendered person. But dammit, I understand what it's like to be a human being who is scared and in pain and all alone. Surely we can all understand that. And if we can't, how can we call ourselves human?

4 comments:

  1. Lynn, Thank you for posting this. In a world were sexual difference is often the target of violence, it is nice to see brave people take a stand for equality, love, and acceptance. As a member of the GLBT community, I am truly honored to have a friend as brave and compassionate as you.
    Trever

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate that so much. It hurts my heart that equality, love, and acceptance are things we have to take a stand for. It shouldn't be bravery to fight hatred; it should just be what we do because we're all human beings and humanity should be better than that.

    Thanks Trever. Now I'm weepy again. *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone in that store did help her out. The old lady tried to get between her attackers and her, touched her gently in the middle of the screaming, and ended up getting attacked a bit herself. While that doesn't make things better, it does mean that she wasn't alone without aid in a very hostile situation. Someone in that whole mess showed humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That video is absolutely disgusted. I wish more than anything that I could have been there to help that poor woman. She didn't deserve that. Nobody does. This video makes me ashamed to know that I'm from the same species as these people who attacked this woman. Ugh it makes me sick.

    ReplyDelete