08 May, 2011

My First Six Sentence Sunday!

The twitter-folk inform me that today is Six Sentence Sunday. Seems like as good a time as any to post some actual fiction. What follows is the first six sentences of my as yet untitled work-in-progress:


I was asleep, to begin with. My bed was soft and warm, the room was dark and soothing – as soothing as an improvised bedroom that had once been a high school history classroom could be, anyway. Posters that I’d never bothered to remove peeled slowly off of the walls, leaving greasy spots behind where adhesive gum had been. Some long-gone teacher’s desk still sat by the whiteboard, presumably stuffed full of worksheets, grade books, and uninspired term papers;  I’d never bothered to look. Taped to the desk’s surface, a picture of a smiling woman and a man I presumed was her smiling husband. I didn’t look at that picture often, not at all on a good day. 

That's my six! Feel free to comment, suggest, encourage, discourage, speculate, like, or dislike. Yes, you. :)

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I want to know why she's sleeping in a history classroom and what happened to the other people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm quite relieved that you want to know what I want you to want to know, and not some other thing like, "why am I reading this?"

    Stay tuned, I'll be blogging about this project in probably more length than anyone needs to hear about it for the next few months. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to find out what's happened!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks dearie. Now here's to not letting you down when you find out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to Six Sentence Sunday.

    This has a kinda post-apoca feel to me. And if I'm wrong about that, it's intriguing enough that you've hooked me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Taryn, and thanks! "Intriguing" and "hooked" are very happy words; I hope that continues. As far as this being PA, and at the risk of being overly cryptic...well...kinda.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like something weird happened to the world. I'm hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Verna! "Something weird" is a good way to put it. :)

    I appreciate all the positivity today; you're all fabulous people!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynn, I could visualize the classroom, the peeling poster, old sticky tape left untended.

    Maybe homeless? Or as Taryn suggested, a post world melt down--at least hers.

    I'm hooked. I'll be back...and by the way, welcome to SSS. Great six today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Gem! I'm excited to see all the new "faces" around here, and I really appreciate your post. Looking forward to next Sunday already! :)

    ReplyDelete